Summer is cool, but fall is cooler. It is time to start thinking about getting your home ready for the colder temperatures that fall will bring. It is a good idea to start prepping your home now, before you find yourself scrambling through the real cold! We’ve put together a list of things you’ll want to do to your home.
1. Clean out the gutters– We know most people will tell you to keep your mind out of the gutter, but not in this case! You’ll want to clean out all the leaves and debris that have built up over the year.
2. Sprinklers– Make sure to turn off all outdoor plumbing and get your automatic sprinkler system blown out. You don’t want to start off spring fixing a busted pipe.
3. Clean and store patio furniture– You’ll want to start off spring with clean furniture to welcome the warmer weather. Storage will ensure that your furniture won’t be damaged during winter storms.
4. Change your furnace filter– You’re going to want your furnace running perfectly. Make sure it has a clean filter and change as instructed. You may even want to consider getting a professional tune up.
5. Keep out the cold– Check your windows and doors. Is your weather stripping doing its job? A quick way to test this is to place a piece of paper between the stripping and door. Close the door, if the paper moves easily you will want to replace your weather stripping. What about your windows? You may need to re-caulk your windows and door casings if there is any cracking in the caulk.
6. Clean the fireplace and chimney– You’re going to love using your fireplace during the chilly fall nights, but you will want to make sure it’s ready to be used. You may even consider hiring a professional chimney sweep. You wouldn’t want Santa to come down covered in soot!
Home ownership gives you a great feeling of pride and accomplishment! Protect your investment to save you time and money down the road.
Don’t own a home but want to? We can help you with that, just give us a call!